I actually have enjoyed reading this thread, so I popped back to page 1 to read from the beginning. Hysterical and depressing, these comments are.
I enjoyed reading that last article posted by Lorel. As adults, hopefully, most of us are capable to deal with these ignornant comments in a mature and effective manner.
However, with a capital H, I think in most cases children are NOT. No matter how intelligent, they probably don't have the experience to deal with hostility from an adult, especially a teacher they are subjected to each day. No matter how brilliant, their identities are still emergent.
I feel strongly that some GT kids would be damaged if subjected to the hostility as described in that Stanford article without parent intervention. As overt as that example is, many GT kids would easily pick up on even subtle hostility.
We've all probably experienced the adult who seems driven to prove to us our child is "just not that smart". I'm glad I'm at the school alot, because if I even got a whiff that an adult would take that attitude to the next level and challenge my child with it..........well..........Like Mr. T. from the A team used to say: "I pity the fool"!!!!!!!!

(putting fists down now)

Incog