Hi Trinity,

I will try to answer your questions as best I can. First of all, I taught at a small private school, so I wasn't held to district policies in making decisions.

The student who I put in algebra as a 4th grader later was accelerated a full year. What happened with his math was this: we had decided to test all 5-8 graders in math and make groups based on ability rather than grade level--what a concept! The one little student was obviously above 4th grade level, so I tested him at the same time. When they formed the math groups they put him in pre-algebra. I happened to be the teacher for pre-alg and alg, and it was clear that he was breezing through the material. So, at parents' night, I just told his parents that I was going to put him in algebra. Naturally they didn't argue against this! So, in that case, I kind of did the "easier to say sorry later than ask for permission and get rejected." The director of the school did say something about, "what is he going to do next year?" since the school was K-8, but I answered with, it's either next year or the year after--it's something that will have to be dealt with."

The other child was a boy who sat in class and looked out the window most of the day, yet still got decent grades. His mother was concerned, saying he used to be a good student, etc., so I told her that he was probably bored. We moved him up a grade and further accelerated him in math, and he did much better after that.

As far as why parents think their children are gifted when they may be high average or something else, I can only guess. What I think is that some parents think that getting all A's means their child is not being challenged. I think it means (in some cases) that they are working hard at their level. I think that a student putting in average effort, but still learning should get grades of C or B-, students putting in great effort can get A's. Then there are students who put in minimum effort and get A's. These students are probably gifted. And, as we all know there are those who misbehave, stare out the window, don't get A's, but are still gifted. These are the ones that are most likely hg or pg. Unfortunately all teachers don't realize this.

If a child truly needs acceleration, I believe they should still be capable of getting A's or B's in the level they move up to. In the cases of parents who think their kids are not being challenged, I showed them examples of pretests in which their child did not do well (as they shouldn't have done if they hadn't learned the material). If the child aced a pretest, then was made to sit through the same material, there would be a problem. However, if a child has trouble on a pretest, learns the material through the lessons, then studies hard and gets an A on the test, I believe they are a good student, not necessarily a gifted one.

So, that's my experience. I hope I answered your questions. Sorry I don't have insight into administrator's views (especially in public school).