Similar experience. I talked to the principal (a relative of mine) when my son was reading well at four and he told me since it was just a small town school I couldn't expect them to be able to meet his needs and I should put him in private school (which I couldn't afford) or homeschool.

The next year at age five I took him to the Kindergarten teacher for the Kindergarten readiness evaluation. He was excited about starting school and asked a lot of questions. I sat in on the evaluation and thought it went well, but the teacher wrote on his evaluation "verbal overflow" and also that he "couldn't follow directions" when he couldn't answer how old his sister was. I explained at the time that his sister was an adult and didn't live with us and he doesn't like to give a wrong answer if he doesn't know for sure.

So the first day of Kindergarten, at age 5, the teacher handed the adults a list of instructions for putting up the supplies we had to bring. I had my son read the list out loud and follow the instructions that he read so there was no doubt that he could both read and comprehend and follow instructions.

Even though my son could read well, Kindergartners were only allowed to get Kindergarten level books from the library. I asked the teacher if he could get a Cam Jansen book. She got him one, but told me
"at this age kids are more accepting of differences, but when they get older..."
as if I needed to worry about other kids seeing him reading and appearing too smart because this is not a good thing.

I later learned from his friends in public school that if you don't do sports and are smart you are a geek and this school is not very geek friendly.

At a parent teacher conference my son's Kindergarten year, the teacher told us he was doing well in everything except drawing and coloring in the lines and if this didn't improve she would recommend T-1 (a year in between Kindergarten and first grade) so he could work on coloring and drawing because
"he didn't really need to learn anything next year"
since he was already reading well and doing math. Even when we explained about the hypotonia and motor delays and that we realized he would never be an artist and we didn't care, she thought coloring in the lines was important enough to hold him back for.

So I really have a problem with "coloring in the lines" and now years later, what do I need to have him practice for the Explore test? Coloring in the lines.

I pulled my son out of school at the end of the Kindergarten year as recommended by a first grade teacher who thought he was highly gifted and needed to be homeschooled. A year later, when I complained to the superintendent that my son had only homeschooled about two hours a day and now tested grade levels ahead of his age mates in school, he told me that I should continue to homeschool because they could not provide an appropriate education and
"this is a good problem to have."