Originally Posted by bk1
* The learning rate of children above 130 IQ is approximately 8 times faster than for children below 70 IQ
* Gifted students are significantly more likely to retain science and mathematics content accurately when taught 2-3 times faster than "normal" class pace.
* Gifted students are significantly more likely to forget or mislearn science and mathematics content when they must drill and review it more than 2-3 times
* Gifted students are decontextualists in their processing, rather than constructivists; therefore it is difficult to reconstruct "how" they came to an answer

This is really interesting to me. Dd's 2nd grade class has been working on math facts to 20 for what seems like forever now. They do these drills and have to get 20 or 30 number problems correct within a certain time frame to move on to the next level. Initially dd was passing these easily but as time went on the % of ones she was passing declined, almost like she was getting worse. Anyway, when we got home we tried flash cards to help. Very quickly she started to rattle off the answers correctly. No mistakes and certainly quick enough to pass her test.

If I sit down with her and work on math she learns concepts very quickly (especially more advanced math) but when I see her doing math in school it seems that the repetition makes her worse. I really couldn't understand how she wasn't passing these rather simple math tests and yet she could come home and easily understand math concepts way beyond what they're doing in class. I thought I was losing my mind but maybe it makes more sense now?