I realise that there are multiple issues with this report, given the complete lack of references. But it's pretty interesting reading!

I was wondering what people make of these two points:

Gifted students prefer a structured learning environment (desks, tables, etc.) but open-ended tasks and assignments

AND

The greatest academic benefits of "discovery" learning have been attained with gifted students, particularly if the learning was Brunerian (teaching of major ideas and concepts)

I think that the new K-2 curriculum at my DD's school fits the second description quite well, but I have been wondering whether she would be better suited to a "Structured learning environment" as per point 1. And I find it odd that the report seems to have these two contradictory points listed so close together.

Or in fact are they not contradictory so much as point 1 is about what gifted kids prefer and point 2 is about gifted kids doing better than other kids in the second environment (which is not necessarily to say this is the best environment for gifted kids)? Assuming of course that any such broad sweeping statement is valid in the first place.