Well we all know how frustrating this is. My DS is in 4th grad and the school has now just taken away the 45 minutes, once a week slot of stimulating G&T time. I started looking at private schools (which we as well can't afford but are so desperate) but I was given some good advice which I found to be true. Just because it is a private school does not mean you will get a better education or a better teacher that suits the needs of your child. My son was told in 1st grade that he should be tested but there was no one else in the program and she felt he would feel left out in the regular classroom! There are just teachers who do not understand children who are at a higher level or believe that a child should be "pushed" - even though we know that we are not pushing them. It is they who are seeking out the knowledge and it is we who want to provide it for them. As for the perfectionism, when something seems to hard, allow him to begin at a lower level and when he masters that and gains the confidence he will then begin to blossom. As on of the myths with G&T kids is that they can't be perfect at everything they do. Speak to one of the directors at the school about it and if they do not help then testing may be a good idea. Whatever the case, nurture his natural abilities.