I agree with all of those who are advocating testing. It won't change anything about DS, but will give you that data that will be needed to help advocate for him. I was somewhat reluctant at first, because I didn't like the idea of a number defining my child. But I realized it is not like that at all, it doesn't change anything but is just more information to help him. It gave me information I needed to advocate for DS, and since the school was aware of his abilities they suggested a grade skip and are accelerating his work in addition to that. I think without that data they would not have known at all that he was as advanced as he is and would just have seen his behaviors as they come out when he is not challenged. With all the mandates and things that teachers have it is easy for advanced kids to slip under the radar. I am so thankful that I did have DS5 tested and that I was able to get support through the school because of it.

I also have to say that your son's teachers responses during the conference are quite telling. Maybe she just doesn't get his abilitlies and thinks you are a pushy parent...and maybe some concrete information would change that...but it is hard to say. My sons teacher thinks he is emotionally immature as well...and he really can be. But he still has other academic needs that need to be met. They can't be ahead in everything, and that is the one thing that is not as easy for him. I would contact the school and check into how to go about having him tested. Or you could pay to have him privately tested...whatever works better for you. good luck! keep us informed!