This sounds like my situation with DD in K. I got the whole "they all even out and will all be reading at the same level by the end of the year...." Really? Because I highly doubt they will be reading full blown chapter books by themselves at the end of K. Turns out that by the end of the year, when they took the "school readiness test" to see if they were prepared for 1st grade my daughter did so well that she was recommended for the GT program. She is now in 2nd grade and I have to tell you, each year entails a new discussion with a new teacher and the process starts all over again. We have made progress each year though because each year there is more and more "proof" (if you will) that there is no denying it. Be careful about having the school test him. Not all school personnel are skilled in testing gifted. I can tell you the nightmares parents have had at our school with testing. Also if the results are not as expected (due to poor testing) those will be in the child's permanent record vs. if you choose to have someone outside, who you know is skilled in gifted, administer the test resulting in most likely, accurate scores. I didn't have my DD tested, but she tested well on her own with the school tests that it wasn't needed. HTH!