The temper tantrums/emotional meltdowns are escalating. Ds is melting down more frequently, often multiple times per day. In fact, some days, it's multiple times per hour! Sometimes it's related to perfectionsim and easy frustration, but now he's starting to exhibit the same behavior when he doesn't get his way, during transitions, and when he's trying to get out of something he doesn't want to do.

The worst part is that he's started hitting himself (in the head) and saying things like, "I'm always bad," "I don't even like myself," "I'm the worst kid in the world," or "I can't do anything right." He is good at manipulating (my little lawyer in the making), so I'm not sure if he's just trying to get sympathy or if he really feels this way. It's obviously concerning because I'd hate to think he really believes these negative comments.

It's a vicious cycle because he throws a tantrum, says hateful things, and then he feels bad about himself for doing it and has another meltdown because of his poor choices. There are days where he just doesn't seem to be able to get it together-it's one problem after another and constant negativity. Then there are days when everything is perfect, and I think, "Oh thank God, my sweet little guy hasn't gone anywhere!"

On a positive note, when we visit the Montessori school and other classes in the community, I don't see these behaviors. If they begin to rear their ugly head, he can reel it in quite well and pretty quickly, and we only see it when he's having difficulty with something (perfectionism for sure). He definitely doesn't act out because he's not getting his way unless he is with dh and I or my parents. I honestly do not feel that we give in to these tantrums, nor do we reinforce them in any way that I can see.

Do you think counseling would benefit him? Is this something he'll just grow out of? Is he going to grow up with a horrible self-image? It's been one of those weeks (3 days of this in a row!!!).

Thanks,
Jen