Thanks SLhogan and eveyone - it is certainly providing me some possible insight. Unfortunately, things are not improving and the teacher now tells me this morning that DD will do anything to get out of reading or writing. I said that is so different to the child at home and she is reading Enid Blyton's wishing chair series at the moment - she simply replied oh they are good I enjoyed them as a girl. She also tells me that my DD (to my great surprise as it sounded out of character to the quiet girl who would not say anything -teacher's words a few months back) is arguing with the teacher and other kids about answers to quiz questions and then told the teacher she was right and she was smarter than her. The teacher told me well I told her that I was smarter than her as I had been to University and if she listened to me she would learn something. Apparently (and I am still shocked that DD would say this!) she says she is smart and doesn't need to learn X and Y as she already knows it and is the smartest in the class. I'm a bit embarassed by this as she has not been brought up to boast like this or say this type of thing. The teacher also said she only gets 50% of the quiz questions right - I am not sure how hard the questions are but I don't imagine they would be challenging for DD. She has now continued the reluctance to go to school and the stomach aches and she looks kind of dejected - in contrast to the girl who started school who always had a smile on her face and laughter on her lips. This teacher also says all the above comments in the classroom, in front of my daughter and other parents who are there to drop kids off. That embarasses me as I am quite a private person, not to mention how it must make my daughter feel.....

Last edited by Tizz2008; 10/20/09 01:09 AM. Reason: spelling