Thanks, sittin pretty. Very helpful! It seems logical to me to read the cues and maximize learning based on that, but again I just don't want to give him an "escape route" as you say. I will try your techniques. I think I'm a little guilty of stretching our lessons a little longer than I should. I will try wrapping them up when he's still into what we are doing instead of pushing the limits of his concentration. When something seems to be working, I have a tendency to keep going. I have been setting a silent timer for specific subjects so that I know when to stop and so ds understands there is an end in sight, and I've noticed that he's usually surprised that the session is over. But, I have to admit, I sometimes secretly add time if I think it's going well! Terrible, huh? If he asks to continue, I sometimes will do that as well. I have to get past drawing a line in the sand and "forcing" ds to continue with something that isn't working. I have to remember that this is a positive perk to homeschooling and be glad we have the luxury of breaks and split lessons. Ds demonstrates some ADHD behaviors, and knowing when to say when is probably best for him. I needed some reassurance, so thank you very much!