I've seen quite a bit of talk here about kids and eating. This is still an issue in our home. We have DS6 and DD9.

I learned that you should provide healthy foods, be a good example and promote healthy eating/living. Children should not be forced to eat or have any battle to eat because that can develope eating disorders.

I am trying my best to do the above but I'm still disappointed in the situation. I love lots of vegetable. My DH has a more limited veggie palate. I use to go over the food groups at dinner and explain we learn these so we eat a variety of food for health. Usally my kids will eat dinner with only one food group and milk despite my typical protein, milk and veggies nightly. My DH has improved but can't seem to stop trying to get the kids to eat and try new thing. I try to have dinner before he gets home because it's too aggravating with DH at dinner but that doesn't always workout. My policy - don't say anything but compliments about the food. If you don't like what is on the table get a yogurt from the frig. I'm not making them anything special but I try to include somethings they have liked at one time. My DS is the type to draw you into a battle. I'm sure my daughter would eat more variety if she didn't eat with her brother. I put things on the table my son has like sometime and the he doesn't eat them. I feel like he is doing it to spite me and doesn't want to be pleased. I give up on ds with trying to put something on the table for him. My kids love carbs like rice and pasta. They drink their milk and love fruit. The protein and the veggies are my issue. The kids are not as interested in cooking with me any more. We have started making smoothies on the weekend which has they will help with a little and are excited about. My DS get hypoglycemic at times I think due to social and gifted type stresses or just not eating enough sometimes. So now I don't feel like I can even say he can't have a snack.

I know families with kids who eat broccolli and salad and their parents say they must eat these things and they eat better than my kids. I don't even want to make dinner these days. I feel like the above stuff is so good but where are the results???????

I am 40 lbs over weigh so I'm not the perfect example. My children are in sports and look slim and healthy and get outside a lot.

Last edited by onthegomom; 09/03/09 08:42 AM.