I stayed up ridiculously late trying to track down more on this issue since I made such waves here...

The well-respected educational psychologist Dr. Karen Rogers is the source cited by the (local) speaker I heard. My googling (via Hoagies) got me back to her apparent source, the also impeccably credentialled (and he of talent-searches-to-ID-gifted-12yos fame) Dr. Julian Stanley. These are definitely the good guys, and good researchers. Trinity and I both agree on that!

I think I took the point of this statement to be a) gifted kids generally learn things faster, and b) once gifted kids learn something, they should move on instead of continuing to dwell on it.

I guess the exact number of reps for a fact to become known seemed like a averaged guesstimate to me more than an actual fact that applies to ALL gifted kids in ALL subjects at ALL times. More like a catchy way to say "gifted kids generally learn things faster than ND kids."

Since that's part of the definition of giftedness as I understand it, I don't think that's a problem per se.

The part that I'd like confirmation on is the latter part: does further "drill and kill" after something is learned actually make GT kids mislearn or forget what they've learned?

I couldn't find anything to confirm this on the Internet, which makes me leery. (Though notably, I also found no dispute about it anywhere either.) Anyone know anything?

I really hate to pass misinformation on, but I also hate to give this point up without confirmation. If it's accurate, it's useful!

Help!?

Kriston