In our small town school in Oklahoma there is only minimal support for GT kids--a one hour a week pullout and they are not allowed to work above grade level. All of my son's gifted friends are in public school and two of their mothers are public school teachers. He has one friend his age who is in the gifted pull out program. My son is working grade levels above his friend. My son's reading ability and vocabulary seem at a much higher level than his friend's and even my son's math level is higher, even with the disabilities--because I do everything I can to let him learn in spite of his difficulties. It believe it is so wrong to hold back kids for physical problems and our state gifted coordinator agrees but says there is nothing she can do unless our laws are changed. The laws will not change because nobody seems to care except me.

For twice exceptional kids in our state there is nothing. Kids with mild physical disabilities, like my son, are required to be at a point where they are failing before they will be given OT or PT.

My son started reading and spelling without being taught at age 2 1/2 and doing math in his head including math with negative numbers and some multiplication before he was old enough to start Kindergarten, but because of mild hypotonia and sensory issues, he had difficulty with drawing, handwriting and coloring in the lines. Even though he was reading at about a 5th grade level and also advanced in math and made what normally would have been passing scores on what I assume was an end of first grade test to see if he could skip 1st grade, the Kindergarten teacher recommended holding him back in a transitional first grade so he could learn to color in the lines better. She felt that he didn't need to learn anything at all other than coloring and handwriting because he already read and did math above grade level. I asked a first grade teacher, who has gifted adult sons for advice. She told me if her sons had been as highly gifted as mine she would have homeschooled and that it was my duty as a parent to see that he got an appropriate education and that it would not happen at that school. I don't know why she thought my son was highly gifted because he had not taken any kind of IQ test and still hasn't, but I did mention to her that he had an adult half brother who is highly gifted that did similar things as a child and she had listened to him talk and I showed her samples of the work he was able to do at home.

So I absolutely have to homeschool or my son does not have a chance to succeed. A homeschool mom who noticed my son told me before my son even started school that I would have to homeschool and I didn't believe her. I sent her an email telling her she was right and she replied that she knew I would have to find out what she called the "cold, hard facts of public school education" on my own. But this is a small town in Oklahoma and I know other places are better for gifted kids.