Originally Posted by Trinity
FYI - gifted kids do need some drill, some times.
Kristin I'm sure the lecuturer did say: More repetitions can actually cause GT kids to *mislearn or forget* the information! So more exposure to the same thing is not only *not better*, it can be *actively worse*!

However, I have heard from a source I trust, that this is an example of one researcher looking at data and drawing a conclusion that most people wouldn't, and lots and lots of people repeating the conclusion without looking at the data. I haven't seen it myself, but, I try not to repeat that particular one.

Trinity

Interesting. Certainly GT kids need to drill sometimes, but since one of the hallmarks of giftedness is learning things faster and with less repetition, this factoid seemed reasonable to me. Given the way gifted kids play with things in their heads and mix things around when they're bored, I guess this passed my gut-check without setting off any alarms. The researcher that the lecturer cited seems pretty well-respected, so I'm not sure what to think.

I'd like to dig into this a bit further, so I'm going to PM you with a couple of questions if I may. Plus if it's bad science, then I'd like to correct the lecturer, for her own sake. She's one of the good guys, and I don't want her to undermine her good work with one bad citation!

Thanks muchly for the heads up, Trinity! smile

Kriston