More often than not I have read posts here about schools that have minimal support for GT kids. I really hate reading about schools who have the attitude of "well he/she's fine, they're excelling, what more do you want?" Is that really the norm? Is so little really being done for our kids that are gifted?

I really don't know what the current thinking is on what is best for GT programs in schools. My dd gets pulled out of 2nd grade to go to her GT class once a week for 2.5hrs. Her classroom has leveled group work in spelling, reading and math. Dd's teacher has sent home additional homework for dd to improve her critical thinking skills and writing (this is above and beyond any classwork). She said dd is ready to go on in areas the rest of the class aren't even near yet thus the extra work. From the sounds of it, dd's school is doing something right compared to what Ive read here. Is this a correct assumption?

Reading what some schools are doing and saying...it makes me want to march with a picket sign and shout that education reform on a national level is needed for our kids! Do you think anyone would hear? Ugh. Ok, off my soap box now...not sure where that came from! I was cleaning...maybe its the fumes? wink