How about, "Although you're doing your job by advocating for your son" (I was inquiring about early enrollment at the local public school) "you need to lower your expectations."

The public school also told me that early enrollment or grade skipping isn't allowed because they do intensive drilling before the administration of every standardized test and worry that an accelerated kid couldn't keep up with the drills. This seemed to confirm vague rumors I had heard about public schools deliberately holding gifted kids back for the sake of the school's standardized test scores.

The school rep, who had not met my son, also assumed my son had no social skills, repeating over and over again that what he needs most is to learn how to communicate with kids his own age. This is a kid who has been invited to four birthday parties in as many weeks.

When I expressed concern that my son might not find many true peers among his age-mates, the rep told me that "statistically-speaking" my son "has no peers" and that I'll never find a good school fit for him (I had already found a great fit at a private gifted school but was hoping not to have to pay for it). At least they were consistent about the low expectations part! They would have had me give up on educating my son without even trying.

This may be going too far, but I'd probably run from anyone who claims to know your kid and what they need better than you do.