Originally Posted by CAMom
... we just removed our son from a private school for "gifted and academically advance" children... They assured us they fully understood the needs of gifted children but couldn't specifically articulate what those needs were. I heard several times "all children are gifted with the right attention and resources." That should have made my alarm bells go off.

I've heard this stuff at so-called schools for the gifted, too. I asked a question once about acceleration among kids my son's age (8 at the time). The reply was "There's no difference between them at that age." sick

It's all a big bummer.

..."we've never had a Kindergartener who could actually read, usually they just memorize".

Yeah, some kids have a way of memorizing books they've never seen before. It's a great parlor trick.

Val has a really good and funny post somewhere about what the fancy brochures really mean. I wish I would have known that in advance!

Here it is. Glad you liked it. I wish I'd known that stuff in advance, too. See, writing tongue-in-cheek stuff like that is therapeutic.

Val