Hi Lori,
I'm glad to hear that your son is enjoying Aleks!

I really like the way you are grappling with the idea that some skills are more valued and recognized than others. It's possible that your DH and DS are just a lot smarter than you are, but that isn't usually how it is.

On one hand we usually value the kinds of experiences we are good at, so talky people ususally enjoy and value talking. On the other hand, it's hard to give ourselves "full credit" for the strengths that come most naturally to us. I was talking to a friend who was commenting on her number-crunching abilities in her work environment. She said that she feels uncomfortable being praised for the skills that she hasn't had to work to develop, that they just seem easy and fun to her, and strangly, not to anyone else. So some of us even feel badly, or at least strange, for our strengths!

Do I feel the slightest bit embarrassed for being such a motor mouth and being "quick on the draw" with the advice and suggestions? I do! I think that I must be superficial, because I assume that everyone else has to think before they type. And in real time conversations I have to really try monitor myself so that I don't monopolize conversation or come off rude. I love this format because I can jump in and out of conversations to my heart's content and change topics whenever I start a new thread.

Lori, You said:
I think if I were really gifted than I would be able to figure out how to help him with some of his 2E issues.

I think that you have figured out a lot about your son, and with time will figure out more and more. I base this on that you knew you had to homeschool, and you do. To me this is a significant accomidation! I hope you ask for accomidations for the Explore, although it may be a hopeless quest. When you compare what you have been able to figure out to what trained professionals have been able to figure out, I think you don't have to doubt your strengths. I'll bet that if you found an email list about gifted with disabilities, that you would be amazed at how much you have to share.

((shrug))
My .02$ anyway!
Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com