Originally Posted by philosurfer
DD has always been a hasty decider,

Ok , so unless you can find a bording school that lets you pay by the month, or money is absolutely no object at your house, I reccomend bording school as something to build toward...not something to do next September. Oh I wish there was a test to take for maturity, but my DS would score all over the map, and like the IQ test, an averaged score really doesn't tell us what we want to know...

Perhaps the CTY experience could be part of that 'muscle building' experience toward 'sleep-away school'?

I wish that you had a great school within driving distance that you could try as a day student first...but I really love the idea of homeschooling for a year before she goes away. What's the hurry? Many kids her age take classes at their local community college to get used to the demands of 'book learning' and she may be able to test into some very high level classes.

((Humor Alert)) - be careful what you wish for in the 'do-over' department, you may find yourself raising a grandchild before you know it...I was bored at school and without the consentration/study skills to take the academics to the next level, plus emotionally intense, plus a bit behind socially, so I 'studied' dating and boys as a fun way to learn about people. I've worked really really hard to be sure that my 'willful' DS12/8th grade was the academic challenge so that he can chanel at least some of his intensity into academics. He's looking forward to CTY for the first time this summer, more for the kids than for the school. He met some CTY kids at SPLASH last November and they were playing with weird Yo-Yos and very friendly to my son.

BTW - also look up 'OverExcitabilities' on your list of things to learn about. You and I both have them, our kids have different ones, but they affect them also.

Please hang out more here, and write us these lovely long posts (you do have a gift for it) - I'm really curious what your and your DH's relationship with 'achievement' and 'the Man' etc has been. Is college an 'of course' in your family? I'd also love to hear your thinking process about the medication issue, and how that goes. I suspect that your little sweetie needs tons of time and tons of real life experience, and she's got the time....

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com