Thanks everyone - you've either made me chuckle or made me super grateful for the small changes DS6's teacher has allowed this year. As I've always been a rule follower as well as a rebel (strange contradiction) I don't feel entirely 100% comfortable ignoring the "Kindergrams" - and I printed out the entire curriculum before school started - so that even if we were doing our own "at your ability" learing plan at home, I could keep in touch with what was expected at school.
Last night we sat and spelt out the "sight words" instead of just reading them - which went GREAT! I always underestimate how hard it is for our little ones to actually write and how different a skill it is from reading. Out of 29 words, DS6 needs to work on 4 - but it was a start - he sat for at least 7-10 minutes, did some bouncing - sat some more. I consider this is a major achievement as this was our first "formal" session.

I was majorly annoyed to discover there was "no homework" at all for the last 2 weeks as its "science project time". Science Project is "making a pet" - are they seriuos??!! You "must do this, that and the other" - "Oh great!" - the rebel in me says. (I think
it's because I had the type of personality that just "sucked it up" and made myself get through the boring tedium of every day and all the homework that I'm such a rebel about things now! I hate when I don't get what I personally consider to be enough notice about school projects!!)

Anyway - I got over myself - and we created a beautiful tortoise from pumpkin shell and clay this weekend - and it turned out DS6 had missed his art project making an animal from clay, and was also totally excited by the clay! So a seemingly annoying thing turned out to be a pretty good laugh and we had tons of fun! We have killed 2 curriculum requirements with "one stone" - but again - I just think work with what you have - enhance it - think outside the box - and rebel when necessary!

At the same time - I agree with MON & Kriston - it's a hard balance to teach your kids responsibility - but also allow them to "rebel" enough to flourish in the way they need too. I don't see it as productive to tell kids plain "no- don't the requirement" or "rebel for the sake of it". The original question of course was - do we do the "extras". I think they are worth looking at - and enhancing - but freedom is everything in this area - and those little "cut these words and make a sentence" things have never worked for us!! I think they are good if repetetion is needed for an "average" learner and a patient parent.

Last edited by IronMom; 03/17/09 02:04 PM.