Originally Posted by Ellipses
Homework in elementary school is truly a character building assignment. If students know there is an escape clause (boring or too hard or fill in the blank), then they will begin failing classes later on when you cannot change their minds.

I have had a few gifties who hate homework and were not made to do it because it was boring. They are on the failing list every week and never get to do any of the great programs offered due to this character trait.

Somehow 'character trait' seems a bit judgemental (nothing against you El, it just sounds off to me). There have been times when my son truly suffered through work that was a repetition of stuff he knew. I sometimes regret making him do it. I think he was turned off from math due to this and is just now seeing his way back into it. Boring repetitive work can be downright harmful and I think the practice of withholding harder work unless easy/boring is complete is not good. Kids need to be placed well for them and the schools to really shine.
Otoh, my son does like to do all his homework; maybe this was instilled by me being so firm earlier, but I am not sure there are that many parents out there as mean as me. frown

Last edited by chris1234; 03/17/09 03:29 AM. Reason: needed something more