Welcome Raddy,
I'm so pleased that you found us here. You son sounds like a real pleasure. I have a (few) questions.

1) have you checked out his "Ruf Estimated Gifted Level?" If so, what information did you find?

2) If you ask for it in writing, with the school do an individual IQ and Achievement test?

3) You mention that he 'won't read...but will pour over some books for hours' - can you say more about this? Is he literally below grade level when he is alone with the teacher?

4)You say he baulks at math and arithmetic. What happens when you try a free trial of Aleks.com? Memorizing Math facts is more about memorizing and "seat power" then Math. Doing work that is below one's readiness level, again is about compliance, but what is he like if you show him some "fancy stuff?" Memorizing is an important skill, but I don't believe that it should be called Math.

5) Are you at a state funded school? Are their "out-of-pocket" school within a reasonable communte? I found that I learned a lot by introducing my son to a few "out-of-pocket" schools and listening carefully to their assesments of him.

6) What happenes when he tries to make stories? Can he write them down? Can he let you record them or scribe for him?

Bottom line, I think that if he is being coerced, then he is not going to be able to show himself in school, that this is the school's responsibility to figure out how to make it safe for him. Do not let them off the hook because he's uncompliant. Males tend to be more sure of themselves in terms of "what they want, and how they feel about not getting it."

Love and More Love,
Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com