My son is gifted, and in year 3 at school (UK) - he is aged 7, going on 8

He asks questions that I have to spend ages researching. He asks about black holes, speed of light, mass of objects etc; He eats up facts from CDs/tapes/TV and has an understanding way ahead of any of his peers. He listens to Shakespeare on CD and understands and quotes it. He picks up pieces of wax from candles, or modelling clay, or tin foil, or anything to hand and makes the most remarkable figures (sculptures/models) I have ever seen from a 7 year old - and he doesn't even look at what he is doing. He is bright, outgoing, very confident. But he is a vulnerable, sensitive little boy. He is different and is bullied and excluded by his peers at school.

His teacher says he won't perform in class - but when she has him alone there is no problem. I think he gets easily distracted, his head is everywhere! Teacher told him 'I beyt you mum and dad are worn out with you'. Well we aren't really, as he is a joy.

he won't read, and baulks at maths and arithmetic, but will pore over some books for hours.

What are we going to do to help him? If he doesn't do the 'bread and butter' (maths and English) what is going to happen to him? Shouls I force him to read/write and so his sums or leave him be?

What can I ask the teacher to do to help him in his school work - I think teachers are just not 'tooled up' for kids like my son.

Any advice and words of comfort greatly appreciated.