Originally Posted by mom123
I don�t get it� if she is reading one on one with the teacher, why can�t they give her something more appropriate?

I guess, they have their own list which needs to be checked off and on the list they have
read book aaa from set 2
read book bbb from set 2

Once they have them all marked they will move her to set 3.

BTW Is she in Montessori?

This sounds awfully familiar to what was going on last year with our younger one in Montessori. He was 3 at that time. I couldn't believe that they were sending letters home with him. I couldn't believe that they had him reading pat, hat, mat, ...

The problem is that they work in sequence and cannot wrap their minds about skipping a few steps because what about the child doesn't know something? What about if there are gaps? mad

I have no clue how to change their minds without upsetting them. I did pretty badly on that one.

The solution for us was a play based school. No academics just fun. He gets to do letter of the week but that's no big deal. He reads whatever books he can find there and the teachers know that he is a great reader. Ok, the assistant asked me if he was comprehending it too? Doh. The teacher didn't she taught my older one wink

LMom