Originally Posted by bookworm1
3. I was gifted. I was often sent up a level for part of the day, initially for reading, but then for math, too. I asked my mother about this recently. She never had a conversation with the school. All acceleration was teacher-initiated. My mother would have been too timid to ask. (In fact, I just found out that she never knew that I spent my eighth grade math class in the library studying algebra. Actually, reading Mon thru Thurs and on Fri I would do 5 assignments to turn in. LOL.)
Do you remember much about how it felt to be sent up? My husband was also sent up, and had a bunch of friends go with him. To me it seems idea for at least a handful of kids to be doing the "chicken dance" together. DH says he was intimidated by the older children. When my DS11 did his skip, he felt comfortable with his new home grade, but intimidated by the "big kids" in Math. One of my brothers was subject sent up in Math, all throughout elementary school, until he got to 6th, the oldest grade in the school, where he just repeated 6th again. Good for you for fighting for your student's needs! Thank you. I'll bet very few have given you credit for all that work. Thank You.

Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com