What a fun thread this has been to read! DD10 is much more like DH, whereas DS13 is much more like me. It's easier for me to have a sense of DS's intelligence. I tend to think that DS is more intelligent than the lot of us, but every once in a while, DD will say something incredibly brilliant and I realize that I've been selling her short! As far as test scores go, DD scores the same or just a tad lower than DS at the same age (ITBS, CoGat - which were required to get into the self-contained gifted classes from 3rd-6th that he did and that she is now in.)

Unfortunately, DH's family didn't seem to value academic intelligence as much as mine, so it's hard to recognize from his youth where he was at. I was in any GT classes (pull-out) that were available, and when in 1st grade was invited to the 2nd grade+ pull out program because they didn't know what else to do with me. DH is definitely gifted, and it's quite apparent now. DS is much more interested in learning - he really thirsts for knowledge and understanding. DD enjoys learning, but doesn't "consume" books the way DS does.

I have tried to look at comparisons between my SAT scores in 8th grade and DS's ACT scores this year - and best I can tell, he is smarter than me. Of course, I was always more of the math kid, and he is more of the language kid.

I have a feeling that DD will end up surprising us all. I think she will end up at the top of her class consistently, and probably be very well-adjusted socially. I've had several people thinking they were complimenting me by telling me that "she is obviously really smart once you start talking to her, but until you get into a deep discussion with her you would never know it!" smirk I've also had people tell me from the moment DS opens his mouth that they'll "vote for him as President someday, because he obviously is smart enough to get there!"

Seablue's post reminded me of the time I was at DH's office party and was bragging to the office manager about our kids. The OM has always been very friendly person and impressed with DH, and was likewise impressed with my stories of the children. Finally the OM said, "Wow! They are *really* smart! They must take after your husband!" I don't think he had a clue at how it came out! crazy

One last thing, if anyone is still reading, we enjoy going out to eat dinner and socializing/having discussions with our kids. Recently during one of these outings, DH asked DS if he would ever get bored with talking with us because he's so much smarter than we are. DS responded, "Well, maybe a little someday, but I'll always love you!" crazy

Last edited by MomOfTheFuture; 01/05/09 05:48 PM. Reason: typo

smile
Mom of The Future