Hi, thanks. I really hope to get useful info. and get a sense of community here. I do want to have someone locally that I can talk to, but so far not much luck yet.

Our situation is tricky because we are in a very good school district, there are lots of smart kids, and kids at the public school that my DS8 goes to are, on average, way above grade level. In fact the curriculum and pace at his school is pretty much the same as the private, gifted school in town. Therefore, the school district doesn't offer a separate, gifted program based on the rationale that too many kids would qualify for the program. But my DS8 still stands out, he is still bored at school, especially in math. Last year was horrible for him, this year the 3rd grade teacher is more understanding and willing to give him extra challenge so for the first time since K he now thinks that maybe math is worthwhile. Now my goal is to try to make this situaion last, I'm still looking for options, and I'm sure this forum will be a big help!