Originally Posted by BWBShari
Here is what I don't understand........ If you have a "regular" child who does well in school, it's ok to talk about. If you attach the gifted label, it's like they have the plague or something.

I have no idea if I did that quote box right....but I gave it a shot. Anyow, people are selfish. And for some reason if we say anything about our child that is positive, they think that is a reflection on their child. It is literally crazy. It's all about insecurity and competition. It's so sad. When someone tells me their child is good at something, I am proud of them...that's great! I don't think to myself "are they suggesting that my child isn't as good as their child in that area?" How absurd. I have found that people that are secure about themself, and/or people that don't have children or have children that are grown are much more interested to hear about my son and respond so much more positively. I too have vowed not to hide who he is (plus I don't think I could even if I tried, LOL). But there are certain people that I feel more comfortable talking with and those that I only answer minimal questions. Because I don't like getting comments from people like "you know he is just a kid and you should really play with him" Are they serious? All we do is play all the time, it's not like I do flashcards with the kid. Half the time he runs around playing, and half the time he is reading something or learning something. He is a very playful, silly little kid. That's just what he does, and who he is.