We had a similar reaction when we got our DD's scores about 4 years ago.

Extreme shock followed by a stunned mixture of fascination (like watching something almost obscene that you cannot drag your eyes off of) and denial.

I called the tester afterwards too because she had enclosed a DYS leaflet in the package that we left with after she had walked us through the results. After reading about what DYS is from their website, I called the testing psych to check whether they gave out the leaflet to all testees as a matter of course because terms like 1 in 1000/PG just did not seem to fit our 'normal' (to us at least) child.

I used the DYS application process as another objective confirmation of our daughter's LOG because I still could not accept the result.

We met with her grade school staff to discuss the results with them and the school psych blurted out that she had never seen higher schools (admittedly she was young and we live in a rural area).

It was a funny episode because the rest of the table had been looking at us with the expected blank, stony and borderline bored expressions prior to brushing us off with 'all of our pupils are gifted' canned response. When the school psych blurted that out the whole line of stony faces visibly deflated and looked at her with a 'now why did you have to say that?' expression LOL.

DD being accepted by DYS and that episode convinced me that DD was gifted and further frantic reading confirmed that she was at least HG/EG (I am still not comfortable with PG).

The community on this forum has been and continues to be tremendously helpful with posters like Aeh, Portia, Val, Polarbear and HowlerKarma being particularly pithy posters. I also scan for posts by loy58 because our DDs are of similar age, potential and personality - I am convinced that you will find similarly well matched parent/parents here.

It steepened the curve on my ability to accept my DD's results and more importantly gave a ton of useful information on how best to support her.

As others have said; welcome and enjoy the ride!

Become what you are