Our family is relaxed - son age 9 has Piano classes once a week and started " STEAM" club after school which is the first time he wanted to participate in a school club ( besides cross country in K) - my daughter age 6 did a play-type Gymnastics class but decided on no activities this year ... My kids get out of school at 3.45- we don't get home until after 4.15 - and our school has a decent amount of homework - there is often less than an hour of " free play" time so I am trying not to schedule too many activities ...

My kids love to be home and love to spend time with each other - we like to do " Field trips" almost every weekend: Zoo, Museums, or just a walk through the park - we try to enjoy the time we have with the kids while they are still young and want to have that special family time ...

I personally know a few very busy parents and their kids have exhausting schedules - it is not for us ... If my kids enjoy their hobby MOST of the times I would want them to stick with it ... sometimes Piano practice is not fun but I know that my son enjoys the instrument - however if he would start hating to go I would let him quit ... it is a hobby and hobbies should enrich your life and make it better. Kids should be able to try a lot of things and not every activity will be their " cup of tea" - I always insist that they last through one " session" but why would I pay for an activity they don't enjoy? School is important, spending time with your family is important ... having a hobby ... is optional ... I liked reading as a child - I tried a few sports and they were not for me ... I had friends and despite my ability to stick with badminton or gymnastic - I did not turn out to be a quitter and have a rather strong work ethic ;-)