our kids are too young for discussion on burnout, although I have seen burnout in college kids - and in kids who were burned out on their dominant activity in HS such that they wanted nothing to do with that activity in college - with the most common denominator I seen with burnout is when there is no break in the year where they just do not do that activity for a few months at all.

For our kids, we do have them signed up for a few activities, especially after school, but we usually leave a lot of the weekend open, with the only set activity is swimming (and that will remain until they are proficient - then it will be up to them if they want to continue swimming as a formal activity or pick something else to do). However, even if they are not in any organized sports, we are very focused on doing a lot of physical activity, whether it is biking, hiking, swimming, kayaking or outdoor play time. So although we are not very scheduled, we are not really carefree parents either - we try to build in activities we can do all together on weekends that is active. Whether that will hold as they get older, we will see (although when I was a kid, I remember when traveling with my parents, walking was very, very big - with my dad parking over a mile from our destination and we would walk in to whatever sight we were headed to see, and I know I want to continue with those activities as a family to some extent like family hikes/paddles).