We've always homeschooled...just sort of a natural extension of stay-at-home-parenting that turned into no need for preschool, no need for kindergarten, and then it had to be a conscious choice for 1st grade, and here we are entering 2nd.

I will say that homeschooling doesn't have to be some Big Scary Thing. You won't be sitting down and doing 1:1 work for 6 hours a day 5 days a week. We sort of take a look at what the grade standards are, make sure she's meeting or exceeding those (which so far has happened without much effort...not sure at what age that will flip), and stay super involved locally (homeschool group, co-op, history center, nature centers, scouts, dance).

You say she's self-teaching which is great! Having a younger kid I'm able to "strew" books/websites/etc. (i.e. purposefully plant material) that I want her exposed to, and then allow depth of exploration when something piques her interest. Currently she's all-in with the Little House on the Prairie series which is covering my needs for reading, history, and geography smile

Anyway, I'm rambling, and not at all on point seeing as I never *decided* to homeschool, it just sort of happened naturally. It's not a total on or off decision though; there's partial enrollment, co-ops, and she can always go back after taking a break from brick and mortar school.