Originally Posted by George C
Oh, I wanted to add...

Too often piano curriculum over-teaches note correctness and underteaches things like phrasing, articulation, and dynamics. And so you end up with a lot of piano students after a few years that are hyper-aware of when they make a note mistake but seem completely unaware of the other 9 elements.

Agreed! Last winter I asked my cousin - a middle school music teacher - for intermediate music theory resources for my then-8-year-old. My cousin chewed me out, included in his rant was that an 8-year-old "cannot recognize musical phrases". Hah, BS, my son does.

Articulation, phrasing, dynamics are sorely under-taught. Unfortunate, since these *are* the difference between human musical artistry and robots. Computer programs and robots can play piano notes and rhythms, but that's not music (in my opinion). Reading music is like translating a foreign language. You can understand what it means and copy the sounds, but without articulation, phrasing, and dynamics you can't speak the language to be understood.