Perhaps not exactly the same issue, but fwiw, each of my children has been in piano lessons at relatively young ages, and each refused to practice at one time or another (sometimes those "no interest in practice times" lasted... well.. months or longer. This may not be the answer for you, but what we did was simple - I didn't make them practice if they weren't interested in practicing. I wanted them to take the lessons because I believe piano lessons provide a wonderful starting point in music education before branching off into other instruments. OTOH, I didn't want to force my children to play because I felt it would backfire and they would not enjoy piano and not want to continue. This worked a-ok for our kids (and for the teacher they had - it's important that you have a teacher who understands and agrees with your personal philosophy re practice).

The other important thing to keep in mind: your dd may not ultimately want to play the piano. 2 of my 3 children quit piano - one because she found another interest that was consuming and simply didn't have time to take the piano lesson, the other because she honestly didn't enjoy either the teacher or the piano. She didn't give up on music, just piano - she plays another instrument that she finds more fun and interesting than piano, and she also sings. I don't know that it's significant for your dd or not, but this is my dd who's had vision issues. She really struggled with keeping her place while playing because of having to switch from looking at her hands to looking at the music. She's recently been interested in learning piano again and practicing on her own, and even though her vision is now much better than it was when she was younger, she still finds reading music while playing extremely tedious and tiring.

I'll also mention my ds - he never ever practiced when he was young - he simply refused. Over time that evolved into him playing what he wanted to instead of practicing. It was a battle I wasn't ever going to win so I let him do his own thing - which wasn't easy! I began to question whether or not it was worth still sending him to lessons, but he didn't want to quit. By the time he was in middle school he clearly loved loved loved piano but still refused to practice. He's now beyond passionate about music, both playing and composing... and he's very good too! He'll never be one of the kids who sits down and plays an amazing rendition of a classical piece technically perfect... he's just not interested in that. But he's found a passion in a different type of musical genre, and he's really quite good at playing - in spite of all those times he didn't practice what his teacher assigned.

JMO, but I think our role as parents is to help our children find their passions more so than developing talents we (parents) see in them. A child may have a ton of natural ability at something like the piano, but also not interested in it, and that's ok. It sounds like your dd likes piano lessons, and wants to keep them up, but isn't into practicing now. If you want her to practice, one approach you could take is for you to practice with her. That might make it more fun for her, plus you'll be able to see where she's getting hung up (if she is), and see what kind of music/practice/etc she likes. I'd make the amount of time spent practicing very small - maybe only 5 minutes each day, and I'd set up the practice at a regular time so it's not something that interrupts something else or comes out of the blue when she's not expecting it. I also think a small "incentive" to practice such as follow-up the piano session with something she likes to do with you for a few minutes - help cook, play a game, whatever, immediately following a short practice time together.

Hope some of that helps!

polarbear