Oh, I wanted to add...

I'm not really certain I understand what level your daughter was playing at, and I was unclear what you meant by "showed great potential." It could also be that if she is transferring from audio-only learning to written music (which I think you said?) that she is finding this frustrating. Because it is. And to be perfectly honest, reading music is almost always overemphasized in the early years. I think it's because learning the notes is sort of a binary exercise: you either get it right or wrong, it's written there on the paper what the note should be, and such things are easy to correct and practice for. But the right notes is just one of 10 musical elements, all of which are important. Too often piano curriculum over-teaches note correctness and underteaches things like phrasing, articulation, and dynamics. And so you end up with a lot of piano students after a few years that are hyper-aware of when they make a note mistake but seem completely unaware of the other 9 elements. I'm not saying this is your daughter at all, in fact... it could be one of the reasons she is frustrated (i.e., she is aware of all 10 elements but is being taught to concentrate on just the 1).

Last edited by George C; 07/18/16 09:55 AM.