Originally Posted by chay
I looked at the AoPS programming courses and their second one is OOP Python. I unfortunately don't know enough about Python to know how similar/different it is but I've done C++ and 3 other object oriented languages for work and the better your foundation is the faster you can pick the new ones up. If he wants to be a C++ guru then having a solid OOP platform will go a long ways. If AoPS does programming half as well as it does Math then I think it would be a great start.
Thanks for weighing in, chay!

Originally Posted by ElizabethN
Plus, frankly, the opinion of a child who doesn't even know how to code yet on which language to choose is not an opinion to be given much weight.

I was very impressed with the AoPS beginning programming course from watching my daughter take it. I do think it would have been equally impressive in C++ or in Python, and the language used is not nearly as important as the concepts taught.
I know, was just illustrating what I'm up against! It's difficult when it's a subject I know nothing about, and DS knows just enough to be ridiculous. smile I think he feels so burned right now about anything "formal" that he immediately opposes me. Maybe. Or maybe he is just kind of a know-it-all-13-year-old.

Originally Posted by indigo
In general, you may wish to refer to the 504 in each communication with the school. You may even wish to lead with it. For example, "I'm checking his planner, which does not seem to be up to date. As outlined on the 504, assignments are to be listed in the planner, yet I do not see the scheduled date for his presentation listed in the planner. Would you please ensure this presentation date gets written in his planner?"

Rather than posing your inquiries apologetically, as though you are asking for a personal favor, this wording keeps the onus on them, and holds them accountable to follow through and deliver on what they agreed to when crafting his 504.

You may also wish to keep the teacher's replies in mind when crafting any future IEP/504, in order to close any potential loopholes.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too. I think maybe she has forgotten he has a 504 or doesn't believe he has a disability, at all.

The loophole thing in the 504 drives me crazy. I can't think of every possible way it can go wrong, until it does. Then I sound adversarial in the meeting, asking for more clarification.

The thing is--the teachers seem to either be very supportive/communicative or not at all. It's interesting that the worst about supporting him are the ones who are specifically his "gifted" teachers, while the high school teachers are much more skilled. It makes me wonder if they've been given some directive to treat him/me/us this way, by the program coordinator.