Originally Posted by cdfox
I've been homeschooling my ds10 who is 2e for 4 yrs now. Some days are better than others; and I admit that I've had my share of very bad days with homeschooling where I want to put ds under a bus. Overall, however, it's still the least-worst scenario.

Thanks for all of the encouragement! This made me LOL. If it's any consolation, you'd probably want to put him under a bus some days, even if he was going to school.

I'll check out all of the resources you mentioned. I think DS would feel so much better if he didn't spend so many hours in an environment that is over/under stimulating at the the same time. Then I could see what he is actually capable of doing.

Originally Posted by puffin
How are your finances? I don't know what finished middle school equals for maths but if he has done algebra he could maybe do some of the AOPS courses that go outside what seems to be the US maths sequence. If you have the money there are heaps of optilons.

Resources are limited, but could probably pull off a couple of virtual classes. He is supposed to do geometry next year. I am math illiterate so this is the subject that worries me most. He is good at algebra and I have no idea if he will struggle with geometry (I did, but I think I'm LD in spatial relations--not sure about DS). He does have an older brother who would help if he has trouble with geometry. I also asked his current math teacher--who has been a blessing all year--if she could tutor him next year, if we take this option, and she said she'd be happy to do that.

Originally Posted by indigo
6) Taking an out-of-grade-level test, such as taking the ACT or SAT early (through a regional talent search or signing up directly through College Board)
He was supposed to do this through Duke in December, but was too overwhelmed by finals and so I didn't have him go. I do think ACT scores would be helpful for us to see how he compares and possibly help his self-esteem, which is wrecked.

In some places, volunteer "service hours" are increasingly becoming a requirement for high school graduation.
This is something he wants to do, anyway, this summer. I have a plan for the family to do some service this summer (although not for hours)--we could document that, even though that's not the point.
Additionally this upcoming year could be seen as an opportunity to become more well-rounded or pointy.
I think pointy might be the right direction for DS. He is academically well-rounded (as far as being grade level, etc.) but he will never be a mainstream, shiny apple student. It's not in his nature to conform (understatement).

Although his academic accomplishments may presently be 1 year ahead, some may say that if the EF skills are not addressed and improved over the next year, and if he becomes too comfortable doing as he pleases without setting clear goals and making measurable progress toward them, the risk of him not completing high school may be great.
This is what I worry about. Not the dropout thing, exactly, because I wouldn't allow that to happen, but just general misery at school for the next five years. His life skills are behind schedule, but he's made a lot of progress this year in hygiene, self-care, etc. I have this idealistic notion that if I weren't spending so much time wrangling him into doing schoolwork, it would open up some space for learning basic self-care, household chores, etc. That might increase his feelings of self-efficacy and improve EF in a non-academic way. Right now he just doesn't have the energy for much of anything.

Really, if he doesn't have stable mental health, the EF isn't going to develop positively, is my thinking. My concept of homeschool for eighth grade is an extended mental health day. For all of us. smile