IF your DS is an autodidact then he may excel with homeschooling and gain a lot of confidence. I think the issue with math, particularly, as kids get older is not losing the momentum with the standard math curriculum (algebra, geometry, algebra II, pre-cal, cal, etc.) while not boring the child to death with rote and kill. There are tons of online math programs, math textbooks or curriculum which don't tend to deviate too much from what is covered in the public schools so you shouldn't have too much difficulty in that area. The trick is finding something that will work for your ds.

On the other hand, homeschooling offers a child a lot of time to pursue other aspects and/or delve deeper, broader into various subjects. It would be a good time to go beyond computational math and the standard math curriculum if there is an interest or something that piques his curiosity. Again, there are tons of stuff online or around, if you look.

Homeschooling can be an ideal environment for those 2e kids who like to be in the driver's seat with their education and prefers teaching themselves.

I would encourage you to look at some MOOCs (udacity, coursera, canvas network are pitched to a more general audience than edX and others; udacity is particularly good for coding, I think). There's Khan which some kids like; others are not so keen on. But really you could also just grab a bunch of textbooks and see what sticks and then works rather than going online.

I've met a number of parents who decided to homeschool a child for a year or two. I've heard that it's more beneficial than anything detrimental. Also, better for a child to find their passion and future interests now than shelling out the big bucks for a college with a child without any direction, I say.

I've been homeschooling my ds10 who is 2e for 4 yrs now. Some days are better than others; and I admit that I've had my share of very bad days with homeschooling where I want to put ds under a bus. Overall, however, it's still the least-worst scenario.