Well that...my parents used to get similar criticism for putting their baby on a leash. I wasn't a dog, you know!

I'll say the same advice I always give: you know your child best. Don't worry about what other people say or think. Just keep parenting your child according to what he needs. If you need a comment to deflect criticism, you can always smile ruefully and say, "We've learned by experience that he does best with a LOT of supervision." And leave them with a wry look and implied horrors.

As to keeping him safer: beyond close supervision and possible use of a harness in certain settings, it may be helpful to start having regular conversations with him, before, during, and after risky behavior, about the potential bad outcomes, not only to his body, but also to other people's bodies, property, and feelings. Though not a sensation-seeker, one of our children is impulsive and low anxiety (NB, this is not a good combination for keeping parental anxiety low!). We've had ongoing conversations regarding not only how an action could affect you, but that a reasonable person who cares about you might be hurt or worried by your actions.

As HK noted, some children instinctively see these chains of consequence, but most need to be taught. The plus of a high cognitive toddler is that you can teach some of these skills and concepts (though the application of them will still require heavy supervision).

Last edited by aeh; 05/03/16 06:22 PM. Reason: typos

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...