Originally Posted by Maladroit
He's only 22 months... making me coffee. He had managed to get his step stool, grab a coffee mug, fill it with water, plug in the Keurig, fill the water compartment, turn the machine on, put in the K-up and was closing the lid and pushing the brew button. There isn't a strong enough coffee to keep up with this kid, but boy was he proud when he saw me coming! I was super grateful as he beat me to it! Such a little man and yet so considerate.
This has haunted me every day. I'd possibly consider pleasantly teaching him that while making coffee may have seemed like a good way to help, the best way to help is to ask the parent to "wake up and watch over me."

Some may say the combination of:
- heights (step stool)
- breakables (coffee mug)
- water (fill the water compartment)
- electricity (plug in the Keurig)
are not safe for an unsupervised 2-year-old. Even though he managed successfully on his own, if his coffee-making is repeated situations may arise which he may be unprepared to deal with. These might be as simple as distraction by a bug, a sound, or a thought... or having a wet hand when plugging in the coffee maker... or having the plug inserted into the outlet only partially.

I'm not sure what age others might consider OK for a child to make coffee unsupervised... possibly an age at which the child can understand the negative consequences which might occur with breakables, heat, electricity, water... maybe 8 years old??

You've obviously got your hands full with a very active, bright, and energetic child. And you obviously need your sleep. I would not want to suggest anything which may make your life seem more difficult. That having been said, the child needs constant supervision... the greatest difficulties may occur if the child is ever injured, and/or reported to authorities when wandering unsupervised outside of the home.