My DS2 is not shy about exploring new things or places. He is the most independent child I've ever met. He has no problem waking up before me and walking out the front door to explore (so eager about the outdoors) - thank goodness door alarms exist...my poor neighbors seeing me running after him in PJ's almost every day this week. He doesn't care if he can see us or not, he just keeps on exploring or wandering. Taking him on long nature hikes frequently has helped somewhat. He will take things apart, fix things (like doors, his toys, and plumbing which is a long story). He's fully confident in whatever he's doing - has absolutely no fear. He got a mild shock from a toy he was trying to manipulate (battery-operated), but wasn't fazed. We do our best to keep an eye on him at all times (we've been called hoverers and helicopter parents by acquaintances), but where is the line between responsible parents and silent observers? Anyone else with a fiercely independent kiddo that doesn't let anything stand between themselves and the thing they set out to accomplish? My husband had to recently explain to a Lowe's employee that was mad at DH for "letting" DS play with their unmanned forklift. I guess the guy was pretty confrontational and probably rightly so. However, all DS wanted to do was check out the gears and gauges. DH said he went to ask about some suction tool and switch plates thinking DS was in the cart where he had left him just seconds ago (still in eye sight). DS had crawled out of the kid seat and was sitting quietly in the forklift, pointing that the meters and buttons and levers excitedly. DH tried to explain to the guy that "he's not like other kids. He knows what half of that does and it's not like he's never been on one before. He climbed out of that seat and into a forklift just while I was talking to you, it's not his fault the keys are in the ignition and I'm pretty sure most kids that aren't even two would do that. He's not normal like that." DH was asked to leave. He came home all flustered because he doesn't like public scenes and he was conflicted. On the one hand, he genuinely felt like a crappy parent because he took his eyes off of him for maybe two minutes to ask a question and DS escaped and did something he shouldn't have. On the other hand, DH felt like DS wasn't in any danger, just being curious and wanted a closer look.

Anyone have advice here? How do you all handle situations like these that find themselves in the gray areas frequently? Either we are hovering parents or lax parents...there seems to be no in-between from onlookers.