I also find it very difficult to communicate with schools. I think it is a good sign that they called you and want to open up lines of communication.

I would suggest that you email the parties involved and ask for a face to face conference. Tell them your DD's perspective, then say something like, I know that this isn't the whole story, can you also give me your perspective??? Definitely practice so that you seem like their partner and not their adversary.

Although so much of what goes on in 4th grade is based on misunderstandings between kids (kids and teachers too), I go in assuming that my kid has made some mistakes, and sometimes plenty of them.

I also assume that often the teachers do not understand my kids perfectly, and that is where I can tell them what is going on, or personality traits, anxiety, etc, that they don't know about.

Once you figure out what the issue is, I would suggest to the school that the guidance counselor meets with your DD regularly to help her work through these issues, and possibly to be some eyes in the school to help you navigate what is going on too. Guidance can give your DD a way to figure out this social stuff. I think that would work a lot better than punishments.

Good luck!

Last edited by howdy; 04/04/16 10:14 AM.