@cammom - sorry , it got so long I forgot to mention, dd has a diagnosis of adhd, hyperactive and also in the gifted program. I would not be surprised if the physical aspect of what they told me about has something to do with the adhd. (and even so, if there is an issue we can't just ignore it, it just means it's harder to get it sorted out).

Thank you for this : "require a clear run down of behaviors" -- I did stay with that mostly, but as you can see in my post, a bit of internal eye-rolling and huffiness in my own head after I got off the phone .
(even though I know, to be fair, they are trying to help).

Again, I don't want to lay it all down to adhd or say there is nothing to work on, because she is a handful, and can be pretty self-centered at home.

@bluemagic - no, not middle school just yet. also I see I got her age wrong! she is 9 now, 10 in 3 weeks.
Sometimes it feels like the other kids are laying a trap for the less adept ones, and when the whole drama explodes, the less adept ones are left holding the bag. frown

I did try to ring up the 3rd girl's mother, as we know each other peripherally, and she has always seemed no-nonsense and nice to me, I didn't get through so I may try again later.
Just wanted to compare notes with her and get an idea of whether dd is really driving the other kids nuts... at least from the sound of things the girl is not ostracizing dd and the mom doesn't sound like she's buying the new policy either.

thanks all.
I did need to vent!