Reading through the response from polarbear and responding as I go.

I should explain more what I mean about focusing on math - we basically wanted an IEP that spelled out modifications for math to be more advanced/challenging since that is DD's main complaint. Simple stuff like adding digits onto addition problems to make them a bit more interesting, etc. In a perfect world I'd ask for more but I know that isn't going to happen so I'll take whatever they are willing to do.

In (ETA our province in) Canada they are legally have to provide an IEP for gifted students. Our board's criteria for gifted is roughly speaking 96%ile (there's more fine print to it but it gives an idea). To be honest I wouldn't care too much if all of the teachers actually differentiated like the board believes they do but quite frankly the majority don't. We got lucky last year with her and got the one teacher that did (even without an IEP) but then it all gets forgotten when September rolls around when there is nothing documenting it. We had an IEP for 3 years for DS in that school and the first two they did nothing. The 3rd year they gave him the workbook for the next grade's math and sent him off to teach himself. I'm not expecting them to do much. I do appreciate that not EVERY kid needs an IEP but how many kids do they have with a 99.8%ile GAI that the teacher somehow didn't realize needed differentiation?

You are right that they might not have mentioned it previously because she clearly understands it, therefore her teacher wasn't worried about her not finishing it? Honestly based on my experience with the school I just feel like it is yet another excuse to not do anything for gifted kids unless they do everything perfectly first. With DS it was his LD - they wouldn't do anything for gifted until he was writing at grade level without accommodations for example. From what I've seen of her academic work I have yet to see a problem.

Anyway - I don't mean to come off as jumping on your thoughtful post - I do appreciate it. I'm just ticked at the school's handling of the last 3 years and thought that she would be easier so that might be coming out in my posts (sorry).

blackcat - thanks for the CBM written expression reference. I'll have to try that out on the weekend.

Last edited by chay; 11/13/15 01:00 PM. Reason: adding the province part to my statement about legally having to provide IEP's