Originally Posted by chay
School so far has been easy, she's a compliant kid, teachers love her and life is good.

This sounds good... honestly, if this was the sum of everything, I'd not worry for one second about her WISC scores.

Re your dd's complaint about "focusing on math" - have you asked for specifics from your dd - what does she mean re focusing - is it hard for her to keep her brain focused on it, does she find it too easy, where does she do math in class, what time of day, etc.

We asked for an IEP for her focusing on math which is her biggest complaint. The school's response was "she's not doing the work we're giving her and we don't want to give every kid an IEP so we're going to start differentiating now that we know she needs it". There are so many things wrong with that statement

There's another way to look at this (and I may be completely off here, only having the background and context here in the post.. so if I am, just ignore my random thoughts!). From the school's perspective, how *could* they give every student an IEP? That would be the ideal solution for everyone - an individualized education plan, but the reality is IEPs take staff time both in instruction and in meetings etc. There just isn't enough time in the day to develop a working IEP for every student. The teachers are saying they will start differentiating, based on the test scores you've shared - that sounds like a positive move. We hear far too often on this board about teachers *not* making any changes even when presented with evidence of high ability. Would it have been better if they'd tried this before receiving test scores? Of course - but maybe they weren't seeing what you see as a parent.

It sounds like you have more of a proactive school district (or province) re gifted policy than we have in the part of the US I live in. I am not familiar with Canadian policy, but here the path leading to an IEP starts with first addressing the issue in the classroom with the regular teacher making a modification/accommodation as needed that's doable. Your teachers are going to try differentiation - that's a good first step. Next (here) would come RTI (with the levels of Tiers). If a student is still struggling after processing through RTI, then an IEP would be considered. We do skip through RTI for some students - but that's when there's a clear need that can't be addressed in the classroom or RTI.

This is the first time we've heard anything not 100% glowing about her so we're kind of a bit surprised.

It might not be 100% glowing, but what you've heard is she doesn't finish her math. Maybe it hasn't been mentioned previously because she clearly understands it, therefore her teacher wasn't worried about her not finishing it?

They actually have similar WISC profiles but there isn't as much spread in DD's scores - 2SD for VCI to PSI vs his 4SD+ (his VCI and PRI are higher and his PSI is lower, WMI are very close). I'm assuming the WISC isn't enough to determine anything and we'd have to look at WIAT/CEFI/??

In addition to other tests, you'd want to look first at her academic work. Does it look like she has challenges? It doesn't seem to be the case from what you've written. aeh can give you much better advice on the actual scores.

Best wishes,

polarbear