I'm usually posting about DS9 but now we're trying to sort out DD7. School so far has been easy, she's a compliant kid, teachers love her and life is good. Last year's teacher differentiated for her more than DS9's did and he had an IEP to back it all up.

We recently tested DD7 so we'd know what we're dealing with. We asked to just do the WISC because we didn't suspect any 2e issues. We sent the report into the school earlier this week and yesterday I had a chat with the resource teacher that left me a little puzzled. We asked for an IEP for her focusing on math which is her biggest complaint. The school's response was "she's not doing the work we're giving her and we don't want to give every kid an IEP so we're going to start differentiating now that we know she needs it". There are so many things wrong with that statement that I don't want to get into right now - that rant can be saved for another day. This is the first time we've heard anything not 100% glowing about her so we're kind of a bit surprised.

My question today is - DS has a written expression LD. He's done two full rounds of testing to get there. They actually have similar WISC profiles but there isn't as much spread in DD's scores - 2SD for VCI to PSI vs his 4SD+ (his VCI and PRI are higher and his PSI is lower, WMI are very close). I'm assuming the WISC isn't enough to determine anything and we'd have to look at WIAT/CEFI/?? if we eventually go down that road. We're not going to rush out and do anything since she's still young and don't want to waste time/money for an inconclusive result but if the WISC scores were enough to raise red flags then I'll at least bump it up on the radar.

My first reaction is that the school is just making excuses and/or that she is bored and not interested but I'd rather not miss something because it isn't as obvious as DS's more extreme case. This is the same school/resource teacher that did basically nothing for DS except fill out a form to transfer him to a gifted program in the other school board which has been awesome for him. We are strongly considering transferring DD but we have to prove all tier 1, 2 and 3 interventions have been tried and failed as part of the application process. Parent teacher interviews are next week so I'll get my 10 whole minutes to actually talk to the teacher - yippee.

So, any thoughts on my ramblings?

Last edited by chay; 11/13/15 06:26 AM.