Yes, our district must be much smaller. We have 5 elementary schools, a 5th grade house, a 6th grade house, a middle school and a high school. We have approximately 2,000 kids in the high school. I cannot even begin to imagine a district as big as yours. It is unfortunate that quality is lost to quantity and that it is so large that parents feel they have no avenue for change.

I would also like to add that my daughter is in the 99th percentile of everything MAP for her grade, but the student led conference is still useful. My daughter may be smart, however, she is in an accelerated classroom with all of her peers, so she isn't a shining star... the bar is set much higher as the classroom needs demand. She is also not the most organized person in the world, and she is human so she does mess up sometimes on her work or tests. So, the process of goal setting, evaluation, explanation and accountability has been nothing but a positive experience for her. Don't assume that just because peoples kids are at the 99th percentile they have nothing to gain from an opportunity to experience leadership; even if it is leadership over their own education.

Last edited by kelly0523; 10/29/15 11:59 AM.