So to me, it sounds like the majority of you who are unhappy with student led conferences have never experienced the leadership model in your schools. It is unfortunate because they really can be an amazing opportunity for your students to become better organized, set goals (yes, at any age) which leads to accountability and sense of ownership over the grade that they receive. It often takes the surprise element out of the grade that the student actually receives versus the grade they perceive they deserve because proof of the work is charted and organized continuously throughout the marking period by the student and they show this evidence to the parent at the student led conference. My daughter is in charge of her education using this model because when her grade starts to slide down, she is aware of it immediately and can set new goals to attempt to get back on the right track. If she does not, the evidence is presented by her at the student led conference and she has to be accountable for the quality of work she produced during the marking period. Or the alternative to the leadership mode/data notebooks/student led conference is that I can just wait all marking period to hear about it privately from the teacher and feel "stuck" with the end result at that point. That sounds productive.

Last edited by kelly0523; 10/28/15 06:09 AM.