Originally Posted by BSM
Can you document all that you're doing to keep him on track and provide this as evidence that he has a disability that requires an IEP? You shouldn't have to let him fail for the school to see that there is a problem.

Maybe provide a log of one week of your life? That has to have some value, I would think.

We do a lot at home with our 12yo who is on an IEP. Without us to explain assignments to him, he wouldn't be able to do them. But once he understand them, he does fine.
Here's the deal: I think I'd have to let him fail and even then they would say they don't have to evaluate him because he isn't placed at grade level. So then I could let him go to regular MS, and let him fail there, too (he would, without medication and all the stuff I do at home). So, realistically, he'd be halfway through his eighth grade year before receiving any services--IF they decided to evaluate him at all. They might not--because MS is at the "social pass" level and his state test scores are high.

I think they have me over a barrel and know it. Even when I push about the 504, the response was, basically--should he really be in this program, then?

See? It's kind of icky.

I can either over function and suffer or allow my son to fail and suffer. Nice, huh?

Honestly, though, this is hella better than last year, at any rate.